HomeCalendarGallerySearchMemberlistRegisterLog in
Poll- Gamer server
Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:04 am by Jerms
Well- I think it's time to decide.
Poll in News section.
What game should Chill Gaming start a server for?
----------------
Minecraft
----------------
Garry's Mod
----------------
Counter Strike
----------------
Other
----------------
*Click "Comments" to answer poll.

Comments: 5

Share | 
 

 The thing about it is...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jerms

avatar

Posts : 322
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 26
Location : Australia

PostSubject: The thing about it is...   Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:41 am

Ok.
I think this requires discussion.

Online gaming habits and approach. (You will never understand how long that picture took)

Do you approach online gaming as a competitive aspect of gaming or a group activity of fun and laughter and rainbows??

I know that BOTH are apart of online gaming (fun and competition)
But, when you join a 32 player pub gun game server; do you aim to get the most insane scores any means possible, or do you play fairly and talk to other players and generally just enjoy the game.

The reason I ask if for one simple reason.
Halo.

I played Halo reach online last night.
I know.
I have forever poisoned myself.
The thing about Halo Reach is simple- the game is fairly enjoyable, pretty flat campaign and it's basically the same simple Space Marine stuff we got in 1 (combat evolved) 2 3 and reach. But reasonably enjoyable.
However- it's the players we have to consider here.

I joined one of those simple skirmish servers; I can't remember what it was called...but the SECOND I joined I was met with some dude SCREAMING into his mic call someone a "fag" or a "F#$%er" over someone else camping.
So in a meer second, someone was camping (Something ONLY acceptable in capture the flag or king of the hill games IMO- this was team deathmatch) and someone was raging in an unacceptable manner (If you are going to rage to someone, use it with PM's...noone else wants to hear it; be civil and polite)

I need your opinions here.

I want to know if you guys actually approach gaming online in a civil and respectable manner. Understanding of the competition aspect and, at the same time, respecting that it's not about who wins- but about having the most fun.

(Unless you're playing a competition- in this case, respect your enemy as a fellow gamer and use clever and ingenious ways to go about obtaining victory- no need to be someone who uses cheap tactics)
[img][/img]

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://www.xfire.com/profile/deadlyfunzo/
Juff
Admin
avatar

Posts : 364
Join date : 2010-04-03
Age : 25
Location : NSW, Australia

PostSubject: Re: The thing about it is...   Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:31 am

Jerms wrote:


Do you approach online gaming as a competitive aspect of gaming or a group activity of fun and laughter and rainbows??

I know that BOTH are apart of online gaming (fun and competition)
But, when you join a 32 player pub gun game server; do you aim to get the most insane scores any means possible, or do you play fairly and talk to other players and generally just enjoy the game.

Little of column A. Little of column B. I play games for fun, I'm a casual gamer and always play for the enjoyment in which a game gives, but in saying that I think playing online you have to compete to an extent, I don't rage and yell at people because they are doing better then me I have fun not really worrying about my score too much, but it's always nice to win, and post a great score.

I also try to be reasonably social in my gaming, I talk to other players but I can be quite easily distracted in some games and not say a word all game when I'm determined to achieve a goal I've set for myself, but I try to make sure after each match even if I haven't spoken a word all game to give a "GG" to all the players, as I think its polite and a nice thing to do.

Jerms wrote:



The reason I ask if for one simple reason.
Halo.

I played Halo reach online last night.


Gross. lolololololol.

Jerms wrote:


I joined one of those simple skirmish servers; I can't remember what it was called...but the SECOND I joined I was met with some dude SCREAMING into his mic call someone a "fag" or a "F#$%er" over someone else camping.
So in a meer second, someone was camping (Something ONLY acceptable in capture the flag or king of the hill games IMO- this was team deathmatch) and someone was raging in an unacceptable manner (If you are going to rage to someone, use it with PM's...noone else wants to hear it; be civil and polite)

What did you expect your playing Halo everyone yells at each other...

And on the Camping topic.. It's perfectly acceptable to me on any team game not a free for all game, but depending on the type of game to how much camping is acceptable.

E.G

Team Deathmatch - Camping is ok BUT! not form someone to sit there the entire match, it's ok to hold up a position get a few kills move one.

Capture the Flag - I think it's fine as long as it's a defensive camp and not a cheap one where you wait around a corner in a building and shotgun everyone, add some realism and wait by a window blasting rounds off at your oncoming enemy.

Jerms wrote:

I want to know if you guys actually approach gaming online in a civil and respectable manner. Understanding of the competition aspect and, at the same time, respecting that it's not about who wins- but about having the most fun.

I think I pretty much covered this in the above, but I'll go over my main points.

I play for fun, not competition, but I respect the competition put forward and strive to achieve the best I can in each game.

I am always polite and show fellow gamers respect.

I dislike Halo.

Camping, well to me circumstance is what makes it acceptable or not.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://chillgaming.webgoo.us
vanhelsing

avatar

Posts : 392
Join date : 2010-04-25
Location : someones basement

PostSubject: Re: The thing about it is...   Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:34 am

Jerms wrote:
Do you approach online gaming as a competitive aspect of gaming or a group activity of fun and laughter and rainbows??

I know that BOTH are apart of online gaming (fun and competition)
But, when you join a 32 player pub gun game server; do you aim to get the most insane scores any means possible, or do you play fairly and talk to other players and generally just enjoy the game.

The reason I ask if for one simple reason.
Halo.

I played Halo reach online last night.
I know.
I have forever poisoned myself.
The thing about Halo Reach is simple- the game is fairly enjoyable, pretty flat campaign and it's basically the same simple Space Marine stuff we got in 1 (combat evolved) 2 3 and reach. But reasonably enjoyable.
However- it's the players we have to consider here.

You are wanting to compare the legitmacy of casuals gaming and professional gaming or wanting to compare the casual (i dont give a cheese about teamwork, i wanna blow cheese up) or the serious (work together team!)

Once we see that definition, it becomes easier to differentiate what it is you are wanting to compare. (I'd assume since nobody earns a pay-check here playing games its the latter)

Jerms wrote:
I joined one of those simple skirmish servers; I can't remember what it was called...but the SECOND I joined I was met with some dude SCREAMING into his mic call someone a "fag" or a "F#$%er" over someone else camping.
So in a meer second, someone was camping (Something ONLY acceptable in capture the flag or king of the hill games IMO- this was team deathmatch) and someone was raging in an unacceptable manner (If you are going to rage to someone, use it with PM's...noone else wants to hear it; be civil and polite)

I need your opinions here.

Define CAMPING and lying in wait.
Im called a camper alot, i use the sounds i hear around me to get into positions where i can flank someone.
Dust2, the A-long hall. I hear footsteps, i jump behind the boxes, he runs by and i shoot in the back.

Is that camping or using your environment?

Lets look from our dead mans POV.

Running along, not checking blind spots (because im casual noob) and suddenly shot from behind... OMG CAMPING WHAT A FAG!

Same course of events, yet 2 POVs (point-of-views) and who would you say is in the wrong/right? I dont see a wrong, someone didnt check his blind spots and in warefare that's an early rule to learn.

Jerms wrote:
I want to know if you guys actually approach gaming online in a civil and respectable manner. Understanding of the competition aspect and, at the same time, respecting that it's not about who wins- but about having the most fun.

(Unless you're playing a competition- in this case, respect your enemy as a fellow gamer and use clever and ingenious ways to go about obtaining victory- no need to be someone who uses cheap tactics)

1. Your expecting deeerps and huuuuurps to understand how to PLAY war games and CS etc etc, cheese 90% COD is run around with the sniper and semi-auto people... ZERO strat there, just skill to point-and-click
2. If its comepetitive, without abusing or breaking rules... you can be "cheap" if its in the laws of the game. Playing off the mistakes other make might be cheap but if i win, i win. And when i play, 99% games i play to win.

Juff wrote:
Jerms wrote:

Do you approach online gaming as a competitive aspect of gaming or a group activity of fun and laughter and rainbows??

I know that BOTH are apart of online gaming (fun and competition)
But, when you join a 32 player pub gun game server; do you aim to get the most insane scores any means possible, or do you play fairly and talk to other players and generally just enjoy the game.

Little of column A. Little of column B. I play games for fun, I'm a casual gamer and always play for the enjoyment in which a game gives, but in saying that I think playing online you have to compete to an extent, I don't rage and yell at people because they are doing better then me I have fun not really worrying about my score too much, but it's always nice to win, and post a great score.

I also try to be reasonably social in my gaming, I talk to other players but I can be quite easily distracted in some games and not say a word all game when I'm determined to achieve a goal I've set for myself, but I try to make sure after each match even if I haven't spoken a word all game to give a "GG" to all the players, as I think its polite and a nice thing to do.

Define your "casual" gamer.
You play with any attitude towards the purpose of the game, be it, teamwork, individual success etc.
What is the point in Minecraft, like a open-source AOE? build your kingdom/fortress?

I think rage is something good, makes you a little more focused but controlling the rage, few *KIDS* can do and hence why the best pro's in the world (and the best military commanders i recall serving under) were very intense but kept their composure.

"GG" i hate, i dont gg ever. I sometimes use to PM people in steam who kept owning me saying that they're my new favourite target with a Razz to show its all in fun and nobody raged at me and often little battles begun then and was alot more fun being challenged whilst fun.

Juff wrote:
Jerms wrote:
The reason I ask if for one simple reason.
Halo.
I played Halo reach online last night.
Gross. lolololololol.
My sentiments exactly.

Juff wrote:
Jerms wrote:

I joined one of those simple skirmish servers; I can't remember what it was called...but the SECOND I joined I was met with some dude SCREAMING into his mic call someone a "fag" or a "F#$%er" over someone else camping.
So in a meer second, someone was camping (Something ONLY acceptable in capture the flag or king of the hill games IMO- this was team deathmatch) and someone was raging in an unacceptable manner (If you are going to rage to someone, use it with PM's...noone else wants to hear it; be civil and polite)

What did you expect your playing Halo everyone yells at each other...

And on the Camping topic.. It's perfectly acceptable to me on any team game not a free for all game, but depending on the type of game to how much camping is acceptable.

E.G

Team Deathmatch - Camping is ok BUT! not form someone to sit there the entire match, it's ok to hold up a position get a few kills move one.

Capture the Flag - I think it's fine as long as it's a defensive camp and not a cheap one where you wait around a corner in a building and shotgun everyone, add some realism and wait by a window blasting rounds off at your oncoming enemy.

Capture the Flag - if you arn't in the offensive, you defend your flag. basic 101. Either rush or camp...

Team Deathmatch - control a choke-point and camp it. Such as hiding yourself in a high tower and when people try to climb up, kill em. If they try to snipe, snipe back and use your cover... basic 101.

Real war isnt running into a battle rambo-esq. Thats call a body-baggie waiting to happen. Kids think playing guns and war is fun, for people who knew war before Call of Dipshits *cough* Duty i mean, they never got a clue to start with. COD's a great fantasy game. STALKER fails at being realistic AI and MP too buggy to play. ArmA-II VERY VERY overwhelming the first 2-3 months playing and even worse if you try to lead units on MP but once you have it all down pact. Then its so much fun because the realism is awesome.


Juff wrote:
Jerms wrote:

I want to know if you guys actually approach gaming online in a civil and respectable manner. Understanding of the competition aspect and, at the same time, respecting that it's not about who wins- but about having the most fun.

I think I pretty much covered this in the above, but I'll go over my main points.

I play for fun, not competition, but I respect the competition put forward and strive to achieve the best I can in each game.

I am always polite and show fellow gamers respect.

I dislike Halo.

Camping, well to me circumstance is what makes it acceptable or not.

I have three modes for gaming, and really, unless its ArmA-II, Madden then most times i play half-seriously.

ArmA-II I take with extreme seriousness mostly because i play with a lot of ex-serving vets, current vets and a few dogs of the military now.
Madden only because I enjoy making them bitch when a Ukrainian-born, living in Australia beats them at their own game normally beaten in 3 quarters too. Their rage tears are so tasty lol!

In short: I have no respect for fan-boys, COD-faggots, whingers and bitchers about camping and most times i IGNORE them instantly if i encounter them on games.
To-date, nobody on STALKER MP, ArmA-II has made me do that yet.
Then in CS, COD4:MW2 and NFS:Online, WoW.... every 5 seconds someones being ignored... says something maybe but i cant be fucked bothering
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The thing about it is...   

Back to top Go down
 
The thing about it is...
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Discussion :: General Chit-Chat-
Jump to: